Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Life in Mississippi

The first thing I have to say about Mississippi is that it is HOT here. I've been through 90 degree weather in Indiana and Ohio but that is nothing like the 90s and humidity here. They say it will take a year for my body to adjust to the heat...I guess we'll see.

I went to the doctor with Adam today for a his annual check-up. I was sitting in the waiting room reading a book and there were about 3 other people there. A person came in and said "good morning" and everyone else in there said "good morning". I didn't say anything because where I'm from a stranger doesn't walk into a waiting room and say "hi" to everyone there if you don't know them. Well then another person came in and said "Hello" and everyone else said "hello" back. Now I'm thinking that maybe this is the norm so then the next person comes in and does the same thing so this time I say "hello" back quietly because I'm still not sure of the social norm. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.

Here are the top 3 things I've learned about living in Vicksburg, Mississippi:

3. Adam is apparently unusually big because people talk about it everywhere we go (more about that later)

2. Nothing here is more than 10 minutes away from wherever you are in the city.

1. There must be bears around because I see bear crossing signs everywhere. I have not yet seen a bear though.

Now Adam is a big guy and people commenting about it is nothing new. But he must be the biggest person they've seen in awhile because everywhere we go because are commenting about it. Here are some examples of what people have said:

"Dang man, you look like you play for the New York Giants!"

"Are you in the military? Well you must have played college sports then"

"You look like a wrestler! You look like Rick Flair's son, David Flair"

I didn't know who Rick Flair is let alone who is son is but apparently Rick Flair is a popular professional wrestler. Here is a picture of his son and I'll let you be the judge on where he looks like Adam or not:









Here is a video of our nephew Luke explaining football. I especially like his explanation of what football coaches do!

5 comments:

Annabel's Mom said...

If either of you leave mississippi saying things like 'dang, man' in a conversation, I may not be your friend anymore.

ps. cute video!

Me said...

Maybe they started putting up the bear crossing signs when Adam moved to town! :)

Unknown said...

I love the football explanation - too cute!! He knows his stuff!

Anonymous said...

How cute!! :)

Janice said...

Hey, I jumped over from Jennifers site. When Bob and I get to Georgia, I look forward to finding out interesting facts about the deep South. I'll let you know if they say hi in waiting rooms there.