Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, February 2, 2009

Daisy vs. the thunder

My last dog, Madison, hated thunder. I got no sleep when it thundered because she would be crying and whining all night and would only stop when I petted her. Daisy also doesn't' like the thunder, but she takes a different approach to it. She is much tougher (or thinks she is) than Madison, Daisy barks at the thunder apparently trying to scare it away. This doesn't help my sleeping situation either. Daisy, unlike Madison, has a crate but now that she's older she normally sleeps on her dog bed but does occasionally still like to sleep in her crate. Last night Adam put Daisy in her crate and put the fan on next to her. We've done this before and it seems to work. Our neighbors downstairs had a baby a month or so ago and when Daisy heard the baby crying she would start to bark so we would put her in her crate and turn the fan on and it worked at shutting her up. I think it's a combination of the coziness of the crate and the sound of the fan that does the trick.

Although Daisy is "brave" when it comes to thunder, she's actually a coward in general. Last week, Adam came home with a box of stuff from his office. Daisy and I were in the other room and when she heard the door open she went running for the door (excited to see her daddy), when she saw the boxes she immediately did a U-turn and ran back to the bedroom, I mean, she turned so fast their were little carpet skid marks on the ground....coward. I hope nobody ever breaks in, Daisy will only be helpful if the perpetrator is afraid of being licked or unless the thunder attacks me, then I'll be okay. Oh well, we got her more for company than for protection (she is only about 23lbs). Lucky for her we still love our little Daisy.

No comments: