Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympic Junkie

I love the Olympics! On my list of things to do in my lifetime is to attend the Olympic games. I love everything about the Olympics, the spirit of the Olympics as well as the competition. So far today I have watched: women's basketball, women's soccer, women's volleyball, women's sabre (fencing), men's badminton, men's cycling road race, and women's sculls (rowing). I watched a little bit of handball but that wasn't as interesting as the other sports that were on. I've been flipping between channels to pick the best events.
My favorite part of the Olympics is the parade of nations partly because I like to see what people from the smaller countries that I haven't heard of look like, and because I like to see their outfits. Adam is totally trained. I was making general tso's chicken for him to take to lunch the next day so I was going back and forth between the TV and the kitchen and Adam was watching the parade of nations and when a nation with interesting outfits came out he would call me to come in and see. The hard part is avoiding the results, with the time delay Saturday's events have already happened. I want to watch the competitions and enjoy them so I'm avoiding anything that will give away results....so nobody call and tell me!
The colors for Adam's team is purple and gold so Adam now owns more purple clothing than he has ever owned his entire life. The good thing about football season is that the equipment manager washes their clothes (less laundry for me). Every player and coach gets what is called a "loop". What they do is the put one end through their shirts, shorts and undergarments and then the strap fastens like a seat belt. Then there are two elastic bands at the end that you put your socks through and tighten. Each loop also has their locker number on it. After practice, they put their clothes on the loop and it gets washed and put in their locker for them to wear again.
Now since they wash everything at once, sometimes the colors bleed as you can see in the photos below:
Adam in his purple outfit. Do you think he looks more like Grimace from McDonalds or Barney the dinosaur?

Adam's new purple socks!! You can see the white line where the elastic band goes around the socks. He's hoping purple socks will become a new trend here in Mississippi.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you said I look like Grimis, because the Hamburglar came and sat down in one of my O-Line meetings yesterday. I couldn't figure out why he was there. Now it all makes sence.

Lisa said...

Nice socks!

Rebec said...

Olympics have been great! I taped the opening ceremonies so I could fast-forward commercials. :)Also, Matt and I are already talking about maybe going to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010--the mascots are so cute: http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/