Adam had his first game of the season last Saturday and his father flew down for the game. I think his dad was a little surprised on the heat and humidity down here! It's hot! Adam's dad, Fred, proved very handy at the pre-game cookout by manning the grill and helping fix the air conditioning (very essential down here). Daisy came to the cookout and was a big hit among the kids (who knew...kids like puppies!)
Adam's team played Southeast Louisiana and the had a couple of chances to win the game, the final score was 34-28 but Adam's team committed a couple of turnover and the other team was able to score 2 touchdowns off those turnovers. They are suppose to play at Grambling State next week. We were waiting to see if the game goes as plan since Grambling was part of the evacuation area of Louisiana.
That brings me to Gustav. We live over 3 hours from the coast, but everyone around here said they got a lot of wind and rain from Katrina and lost power for a nearly a week in some areas. I went to both the grocery stores in town to purchase items for the cookout and it was the most insane scene. I have never gone to a store and seen shelves cleared off, especially in the bottled water area. The checkout lines wove around the store, Managers were up there checking people out.
Then I was wondering if I should be more concerned than I was. The city we live on is on the Mississippi River, but the city sits on cliffs above the river so flooding isn't a major concern (this is why it was such an important city to control during the civil war because you controlled passage on the Mississippi River and you were high up to shoot down enemy boats). I figured maybe they know more than me so I stocked up on items that we would eat anyways such as granola bars, just in case. Now that it looks like Gustav went more towards Texas, we haven't gotten hardly any rain or wind I guess I was prepared for nothing. I guess it's always best to be prepared since you don't really know where the hurricanes are going to go.
2 comments:
Glad to hear you did not blow away. I spend the last week in GA and posted some of my funny findings of the south.... I am heading back in a week, just in time for Hurrican Hana to hit.
Glad to hear you did not blow away. I spend the last week in GA and posted some of my funny findings of the south.... I am heading back in a week, just in time for Hurrican Hana to hit.
Post a Comment